Sunday, January 5, 2014

For Mary Fitzpatrick




When David Spielman came into the book shop and told me Mary Fitzpatrick passed, I shouted at him in disbelief.  Later on Facebook I posted the story Chris Waddington wrote for NOLA.com with the sentence: I'm devastated and without words.  Without words was not exactly accurate...a million words were flying through my mind and I could grab not a one, to make sense of Mary's passing.  I have been thinking of her since.  I have know Mary since moving to New Orleans in 1998.  I have sold her books, chosen books as her gifts, written books with her, and sold her books at events.  

I recall Mary coming into the book shop when she had decided to publish her first book, New Orleans: Life in An Epic City.  She consulted with Deb and I on what size, price and various other details.  I have photographs in the first two books and a haiku along with one of my photographs in the New Orleans' Favorite Shotguns book.  As well as the pleasure of generating the idea for the shotgun book.  

Unfortunately, I do not have anything in the last book that Mary did and it wasn't from her lack of trying to entice me.  But I was stuck on photographs of parks as my favorite place and Mary said she had more park photographs than she could use.


Today while thinking of Mary, I read her new book, New Orleans: Days and Nights in the Dreamy City.  And came up with a short essay for her. Once someone asked what two things I would recommend someone do in New Orleans, if I could only choose two...mine: ride the St. Charles Streetcar and go to Preservation Hall. The streetcar did make it into the book, however Preservation Hall did not.  I had the most wonderful experience imaginable at Preservation Hall and here it is...
Mary, this is for you.

Copyright Sherry Justus
A couple good friends, Christiana and Joe,  were moving from New Orleans, they wanted to do a number of things prior to moving and one was to go to Preservation Hall.  So we went and waited outside for sometime, only hearing the magnificent music. But eventually making it inside, we stood in the back for the end of the first set.  Between sets many people left, so we were able to sit down.  In the front of the room, right in front of the stage about 10 kids, 12 or 13-years-old,  were sitting on the floor with a couple adults.  Between sets they didn't leave, but patiently waited for the next set to start.
When the band came back on stage, the band leader announced he'd heard there was an an incredible pianist in the audience and he'd like to invite him up to play with the band.  He then announced the name of one of the young teenagers sitting on the floor.  Apparently they were a band on holiday from I believe, Massachusetts.  The young man went onstage and played with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and received a rousing round of applause.  He was an incredible pianist and I'm sure, to this day this is one of the unforgettable highlights of his young life. It is definitely a highlight of mine.  I tear up in happiness remembering the excitement that filled the hall.







No comments:

Post a Comment