Wednesday, December 31, 2014

My Little Hissy-Fit

Hissy - 09.21.1998 - 12.25.2015


"Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy."
-Eskimo Saying

How strange that the last blog I wrote was about Hissy.


Hissy hugging up his brother Maurie.
On December 23,  Hissy stopped eating his special wet food. In the day that followed, he was still drinking water, however major weight loss occurred and let me tell you he was already thin. I did everything I could think of to get him to eat, to no avail.

Christmas Eve night somehow Hissy got into bed with me (he was very weak), climbed under the covers and slept next to me most of the night. When he jumped off the bed he was so weak, that he fell sideways onto the floor like a scarecrow less his stuffing. My heart at that moment was ripped from my chest. I knew I must do something, but was at a loss as to what...it was Christmas day and the vet wasn't open.



I was able to get him to drink some water multiple times. So I posted this question on FaceBook: "Does anyone know a vet that may have someone there today? Hopefully somewhere uptown or mid-city? It is an mental health and furkid emergency."

I went down the hall for a couple hours and when I returned Hissy had left the couch and was hiding and had urinated on the floor and was lying in it. I cleaned him up, but was struck with the realization that something far worse than I could imagine was occurring. Looking on FaceBook I saw many options from my friends. However, I knew I could not drive him anywhere by myself, I was loosing my mind with grief.  Maurie...his sweet brother was by his side the entire time, cleaning and cuddling him.

My friends, Linda, Stephanie, and Bob, came to my rescue and drove me where I needed to go, Southeast Veterinary Clinic. The people at the veterinary clinic were lovely and comforting.  After they placed the port in Hissy's paw and handed him back to me, he hissed at me for the last time, weakly, but a hiss none the less. He always had to get the last word in. I held him in my arms cuddling him like the sweet baby he is, as the drugs were administered. My sweet 16-year-old boy passed into the sweet forever lying in my arms.

My little gray boy taught me many things, but this stands above the rest:

Life can change with the snap of your fingers.  You have no control...  Live the love you feel.







Rest in peace, my beautiful Hissy (Hissy-fit, Hissy-boy, Chunk-of-Monkey, Monkey-man, Monk).


No comments:

Post a Comment